Insidious OST

I promised a few horror OST reviews this Halloween and what better way to begin than with the delightfully scary and screwed up Insidious soundtrack.

This is not a soundtrack I listen to very often! It’s okay sitting here talking to you guys, I’m listening to it and feeling pretty brave. But can you imagine listening to it on a dark winter night? Whilst on your own? In the middle of an abandoned theme park?? Sod that for a fried egg sandwich.

But because I like horror and soundtracks in general and because the score really jumped out at me when I watched the movie (as it did for most people I’m sure) I knew I had to buy it on CD and I’m glad I did – even if I am too much of a wimp to listen to it. It’s still a cool soundtrack to have in my collection and there’s some nice artwork inside too.

DSC_0307

DSC_0309

Though there are a handful of songs in the film (most notably the creepy Tiptoe through the Tulips) this is a scored soundtrack which was written by composer Joseph Bishara. He only really got ‘famous’ after Insidious but his IMDB page boasts a whole heap of horror film scores, dating back to 1998.

Bishara also played Lipstick-Face Demon – the main bad guy in Insidious and in a really clever, twisty, freaky-deaky way Lipstick-Face was also a musician. Remember that fucked up organ room?! And who could forget the whisper – “oh my god dad….he’s looking”.

No joke – I am getting goosebumps right now!

As far as amazing albums go, this isn’t an amazing album. Like in the way you’d listen to it in the car on repeat amazing. It’s a brilliant horror soundtrack, effective and truly frightening but the tracks all sound kind of similar with a heavy emphasis on making the listener jump – going from near silence to scratchy violins and weird piano keys. It’s brilliant but it’s not…..pleasing, almost slightly uncomfortable. Does that make sense?

Now if you’re brave enough, stick some headphones on and turn off all the lights –

This entry was posted in Soundtracks and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Insidious OST

1. Victor De Leon says:

This and It Follows are my 2 fave scores to new horror flicks. Oh and Sinister too! Great post 🙂

Thanks SO much Victor!! I will be reviewing It Follows soon actually, I really like that soundtrack too! I listen to it in the car sometimes at night and there are some pretty jumpy bits in it! I could never listen to Insidious at night lol.

I’ll check out the score for Sinister, interesting!

• Victor De Leon says:

Sinister is very creepy, more in the vein of what was done by Disasterpeace with It Follows. The score was done by Christopher Young, who also did Drag Me to Hell and Exorcism of Emily Rose. Hope you enjoy it, and you’ll may not want to listen to it at night 🙂

Haha, knowing what a wimp I am (weird for someone who loves horror films!) I better listen to it in the sunshine 🙂

Thanks Victor! Always nice to speak to another soundtrack fan and I love the Hellraiser score!!!

• Victor De Leon says:

Haven’t heard the Hellraiser score in a looong time! Give Dead Silence a listen, too, by Charlie Clouser. Good stuff, and of course, I love the more classic horror scores by Jerry Goldsmith (Omen, Poltergeist) and John Carpenter (Prince of Darkness and The Fog). If you know of any scores I may have overlooked, that I may enjoy, give me a shout!

I have the Hellraiser score on my Spotify list. I’m weird like that lol. John Carpenter did some amazing scores didn’t he, totally agree with the classics! I really like the soundtrack to The Fly (1986) by Howard Shore as well, it’s very dramatic but not very spooky. Though I’m familiar with the movies I must admit I can’t really think how Omen and Poltergeist sound, I will look them up on youtube! (as well as Dead Silence!)

2. Sounds delightfully evil.

3. filmfunkel says:

Love it. Wonderfully unsettling – like the Under The Skin soundtrack. 🙂

4. Okay. That. Was. Creepy! If I have nightmares tonight you’re in so much trouble!

5. table9mutant says:

Hmm. I’ll have to give this a listen as I admit that I don’t remember the score. Only Tiptoe, of course. 🙂

6. beetleypete says:

Other than ‘Tiptoe’, I confess that I hadn’t thought too much about the music. I obviously don’t have your ‘ soundtrack ear’, Em!
    Good call honey.
    Best wishes, Pete.

This soundtrack is so chilling, I’m shivering listening to it Emma.