Quentin Tarantino – Soundtrack Genius

QT

love Quentin Tarantino. I love his stories, his scripts, his characters, his enthusiasm for films and of course…his soundtracks. Which I will be concentrating on today as I try to put each of his eight original soundtracks into the order of their brilliance. Now, as QT fans will know, his soundtracks are just as impressive and exciting as his movies and to be honest, I found it pretty darn tricky. I adore all of them really and so this wasn’t the easiest of tasks. Anyway, hope you enjoy. And I’m not including From Dusk till Dawn, Natural Born Killers or True Romance because he didn’t direct them or create the soundtrack.

8. Reservoir Dogs (1992)

This was Quentin’s first ever soundtrack (funnily enough) and it’s a real mix of eclectic pop songs from the 1970s. Reservoir Dogs is his only soundtrack not to have one instrumental piece on it and there is no dialogue save the Madonna’s big dick conversation and of course, Steve Wright’s deadpan extracts.

My favourite track – I Gotcha by Joe Tex

7. Kill Bill Volume 2 (2004)

Wu-Tang Clan and Robert Rodriguez collaborated together to produce this album and it features a song by Chingon – Robert Rodriguez’s band. This is the slightly more typical sounding soundtrack between both Kill Bill efforts, featuring some classic songs and old movie scores which – if you remember the films well – goes hand-in-hand with the plot and style of the movies.

My favourite track – L’arena by Ennio Morricone

6. Inglourious Basterds (2009)

inb

The contrast between this soundtrack and Reservoir Dogs, is unbelievable. Though Quentin has a distinct style with all of his soundtracks, they couldn’t be more different. This is a wonderful collection of scores and old music. The only pop song on here is David Bowie’s Cat People, which is rather marvellous and a brilliant accompaniment to all the instrumental music – some of which is dramatic, some sad and some slightly comical.

My favourite track – Un Amico by Ennio Morricone

5. Jackie Brown (1997)

Back to old school QT now – no scores and loads of songs. The opening scene is in true Tarantino form as we follow the eponymous Jackie Brown strutting her stuff to Bobby Womack’s Across 110th Street. The rest of the album follows suit with a lot of soul music. And, interestingly its full name is actually Jackie Brown – Music From The Miramax Motion Picture.

My favourite track – Didn’t I Blow Your Mind This Time by The Delfonics

4. Death Proof (2007)

dp

The juke box featured in the bar, in the film Death Proof is actually Quentin’s own personal juke box and contains 45  hand-picked songs. If you look carefully, you can see Misirlou listed! I’d love to hang out with Quentin and have a few beers and go through every track. The Death Proof soundtrack is definitely closest to the type of music I listen to generally. Lots of Morricone and old 60s stuff – some beautiful songs.

My favourite track – Down in Mexico by The Coasters

3. Kill Bill Volume 1 (2003)

There are some incredibly big tunes on this album and there is a brilliant, eclectic mix of music – from an old Japanese movie score, to music orchestrated by Quincy Jones and sung by Wu-Tang Clan. Kill Bill Volume 1 has been one of Quentin’s most commercially successful soundtracks and apart from Misirlou (Pulp Fiction) I think it has one of the most recognisable Tarantino movie songs – Battle Without Honor Or Humanity.

My favourite track – Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood by Santa Esmeralda

2. Django Unchained (2012)

I actually bought this before the film was even released. It pissed me off it came in a cardboard sleeve but that’s my only complaint. I was moving house at the time and so most tracks remind me of driving up and down the A130, my Fiesta full to the brim with bin bags and boxes. Two people have asked me to copy this for them and neither are Tarantino fans and it was also nominated for a Grammy – speaks for itself!

My favourite track – The Payback / Untouchable – James Brown / 2Pac

1. Pulp Fiction (1994)

jt

Not only is Pulp Fiction my favourite Tarantino soundtrack, it’s one of my all time favourite movie soundtracks. And I guess I’m not alone as Pulp Fiction has been Quentin’s most successful, talked about and complimented soundtrack of all. Most of the album is pop music, with some rock and roll and American surf music and fantastic dialogue extracts. A true masterpiece!

My favourite track – Surf Rider by The Lively Ones

This entry was posted in Random Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Quentin Tarantino – Soundtrack Genius

1. ALL HAIL THE KING THAT IS TARANTINO. ALL HAIL! He’s ma main mannnn. Great post – his soundtracks are fucking always spot on. Django Unchained is so so good. I also love that he features Wu Tang Clan so much!

2. V says:

Omg, I think I love you. Seriously, this post is how I feel about Tarantino’s soundtracks. His ear, his choices and his tastes just SING to me. “Chick Habit” and “Down in Mexico” are my Death Proof favs. “Grindhouse Blues” from Planet Terror? It’s an eargasm. And everything from Jackie Brown is gold. Feck it, I love them all.

• V says:

Actually Planet Terror is Rodriguez! I love him too, lol! 😀

Omg I think I love you too! Shall we elope?!!!

The way you worded that – so perfect and so true!!! SING to me!!!!!

I LOVE Down in Mexico, so cool and sexy! I’m glad it was on the CD as that sultry scene was cut from the original movie.

I’ve seen your other post, yeah that was Rodriguez but both movies were for Grindhouse so TECHNICALLY the same movie!!!! I LOVE the Planet Terror soundtrack too, you have awesome taste (still open to that offer on eloping!!) just that intro song, the one Rose McGowan dances too – WOW! I love it.

I’ll listen to Grindhouse Blues, I do have it on the CD but I can’t pin point it in my head.

Thanks so much for your comment – REALLY made me smile!!!!!!!

• V says:

YES! LET US ELOPE! The music at the reception after our elopement (we’ll have to have a small, private get-together to invite some of our celebrity friends) will be inspirational. All Tarantino soundtracks played will either inspire everyone to get freaky, or adversely, kill each other. Either way, it’ll be a party to remember.

We do have awesome taste. 😀 And thanks for your response too, it made me cheesy-smile. 😀

Ditto on yours!! I’m sitting here grinning like the Cheshire Cat 😀

YES LET’S DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! But no hit men killers after the wedding yeah? 🙂

Of course, of course, we don’t want too many “no-bodies” there, only the A List! Shall I ask George (Clooney) to be an usher? He said we could use his yacht for the honeymoon anyway BUT Bruce Willis might have to come too (he just gets lonely sometimes)

I’m loving the soundtrack idea! And what should we choose for our first dance?!!!!

I’m interested to see how many people will get freaky and how many people will kill each other! Gonna be fun!!!! ❤

3. Marta says:

It seems we’re both on a Tarantino’s state of mind. Great post, Pulp Fiction is my favorite soundtrack too. “Girl, You’ll Be a Woman” plays while Mia dances and snorts drugs…priceless.

Definitely! I love it!!!!! 🙂

I’m glad we agree (yet again!!) it’s such a brilliant soundtrack. And what a fabulous song choice from yourself – that would be my second favourite I think. BRILLIANT!!!!! It’s a fantastic scene!

Thank you!

4. Tom Schultz says:

So, you love Tarantino? Shocking!! Next you’ll be telling me there’s gambling at Rick’s Cafe. 😉 Glad you had Pulp Fiction at numero uno. We agree (again)! And I see you’re up for an interview yourself. As my father used to say, superior skill will evince itself. Or was that Dirty Harry who said that? 🙂

Dear Tom! Haven’t see you for a while 🙂 how are you?

I just looked up Rick’s Café on Trip Advisor – looks pretty darn lovely! And…er..is there gambling then? 🙂

We always agree!!!

I’m not sure, who did say that? Was it you….Clint? 🙂 🙂

Great post, my dear Clam!!! YOU ROCK!!!

Love Pen!!

6. Great article Ems! I love Tarantino’s soundtracks as well. Each one is so good and every song just flows perfectly together no matter the style. Pulp Fiction and the Kill Bill’s are up at the top for me.

Thank you dear Geoff! That really means a lot 🙂

They’re so brilliant aren’t they, I’ve really learned to appreciate them over the years. As you can see I agree wholeheartedly with your choices!!

What’s your favourite from the albums?

• I’ve always been an Ennio Morricone fan, so those tracks are great, Nancy Sinatra is always good, really, I enjoy them from start to finish. I never find them dull and they never fail to entertain me.

Me too Geoff! I love him!!!! He played a concert at the O2 in London last year and I wanted to go so badly (I would have cried with joy if I was there) but tickets were so expensive and no-one would go with me! 😦

Great choices! My boyfriend loves the Nancy Sinatra one too. It’s a very entertaining CD, never a dull moment!

7. The Vern says:

Uber awesome post Emmy. On Kill Bill Vol 2 I loved Goodbye Moon by Sherise(I think). Inglorious Bastards ,it was The man with the Big Sombrero.Kill Bill Vol 1 every song by the 5678’s Death Proof is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.I love every song on that one.

Thank you sweet Verny!!!! 🙂

I’m so glad you liked this, it has made my day!

Great choices there! Goodbye Moon is bloody brilliant. I did keep umm-ing and ahhh-ing over whether to put Inglourious Basterds higher, it is a pretty classic album!

Isn’t Death Proof just divine!!! I’ve been listening to it a lot recently (this morning in the car for example!!) and I think it’s so bloody brilliant!

Thank you again dear Verny (Jason!)

🙂

8. garethrhodes says:

Excellent piece. He really has had such a massive influence on cinema over the past few decades. I await the soundtracks to his new stuff almost as much as I do the films themselves.

Thanks Gareth I appreciate that so much.

Yes I wholeheartedly agree with you and I’m the same, I buy each one of his soundtracks without hesitation – sometimes before the film has even been released like in the case of Django!

So we can be excited for two things this year – The Hateful Eight. And The Hateful Eight soundtrack!

9. emmakwall says:

Reblogged this on emmakwall (explains it all) and commented:

I’ve made some changes to this old Quentin Tarantino soundtrack post – hope you enjoy (again!)

10. Ebon Talifarro says:

Hey, I’m Ebon Talifarro, my class (8th grade) wants to interview you, would you have time to answer a few questions?