Why I dislike The Oscars

george9

The 88th Academy Awards is taking place this weekend. And I thought it would be fun to tell you why I’m not into it. Though I must add – I genuinely enjoy all of your Academy Awards posts and Oscar love

1. They’re unnecessary and smug. Most of the people nominated are presumably on some level doing their ‘dream job’ and earning fantastic money and if you’re Leonardo DiCaprio – shagging A LOT of Victoria’s Secret models. So, without sounding bitter (I’m so fucking bitter!) – why do they deserve extra praise? Aren’t they ‘living the dream’ already?

No other normal industry does it. I certainly don’t remember the last time I was invited to the Annual Awards for Services to Auditing and Administration. Do you remember the last time you were praised in front of the nation for your services to the world? No, thought not.

But of course it’s so important these people are told again and again how wonderful they are. Of course it is. So important.

little-smug-ben-affleck-when-he-being-stoic

2. I’m not very interested in the films. Maybe it’s the inverted snob in me (I’m quite prepared to admit that) but I’m just not that bothered about watching the types of movies that are *drum roll please* Oscar Nominated. Coincidentally, you can read my most recent film review for Zoolander 2 here.

I’m a film fan and some of my favourites include From Dusk till Dawn, The Football Factory and The Guest (which remains the best film I’ve seen in recent years). I like crappy horrors and eighties soundtracks, I like to see Martin Short dancing around the living room and to watch 90s action classics (“they don’t  make them like that anymore”) . Not necessarily all this ‘critically acclaimed’ stuff (what does critically acclaimed mean again?).

Let’s be honest there is a huge degree of snobbery surrounding ‘The Academy’  and it is the same sorts of movies – and directors – and actors – that get nominated time after time after time.

ms

3. The ‘swag’ bags. Meaning the party bags that are given to each guest. I can’t get an exact figure on what they’re worth but it’s A HELL OF A LOT. And that’s the ‘official’ bag only – many beauty retailers give unofficial bags also worth thousands of dollars.

sb

I’m not naive. I know that some pigs are more equal than other pigs. But really? There’s actually millions of dollars being ploughed into FREEBIES for rich people and on the other side of the news we see families fleeing their homes with no money or possessions and homeless people begging just so they can eat?

Yeah I get it, it’s a glitzy and ridiculous over-the-top ceremony celebrating the rich, brilliant and beautiful Hollywood stars. All I’m saying is they could at least ditch the party bags.

4. The sheer duration.  The Oscars go on for an average three hours which is absolutely ridiculous. And it’s even longer if you take into account commercial breaks and red carpet interviews. I don’t even wanna watch films that go on for that long so why would I want to watch an awards ceremony that does?

cat.jpg

5. It’s all a load of rubbish anyway. And everyone knows that really – otherwise why has Leo been ignored for so long? Because he doesn’t partake in back scratching and ad placing?

Academy voters are made up mainly of actors, directors and producers (with about 75% being white and male). Getting nominated in the first place is a serious business and to secure a win – even more dedication is required. Let’s be honest, it doesn’t just come down to talent.

Judi Dench, who won Best Supporting Actress in 1998 for Shakespeare in Love, was only on screen for an incredible eight minutes. Sorry, I meant to say Dame Judi Dench.

And there’s plenty of actors who I think are really, really terrific – like Toby Jones or Stephen Graham or Jason Watkins. But they may never get nominated for an Oscar because they’re not in the right kinds of films.

But anyway I did promise to tell you the one thing I do like about the awards and that thing is……(probably going to be a let down now)………..seeing what people are wearing.

I know, so fetch and girlie right? I do love looking at the dresses.

od2.jpg

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous, Random Writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

171 Responses to Why I dislike The Oscars

1. Paul S says:

I still don’t even know what won best picture, for me ignorance is bliss.
    I do know I derived more enjoyment from reading your post than I would have got watching the show!

2. I kind of agree with you on this, although I usually like some of the movies nominated. I think the sweeping win of Brie Larson was great for the reputation of the Academy, since Room was such an underground indie film. Other than that, it’s usually the same people, same winners, no exceptions. They definitely need to do something about the run-time of the showing and chopping some categories off what gets televised.

Thanks Courtney! And it’s quite small for me to tell – but is your profile picture Regina George?! If so – you’re a complete legend.

Yeah definitely agree about Brie Larson and Room, I can’t wait to see that, though contemplating reading the book as I’m not familiar with the whole story yet. I definitely enjoy Oscar nominated films too, but they’re not the only films I enjoy and some indie/foreign/under-the-radar films have such a huge impact on me I find it a shame they don’t have more praise and spotlight.

It’s pretty snobby the Oscars, but undoubtedly it has its moments and I can see how it’s fun and exciting for people. I don’t hate it or anything 🙂

3. Well that was lovely. lol I haven’t watched them in years. Too long, too boring and it just feels like something is missing of late. Someone once said there are no real movie stars anymore – a sentiment to which I agree with more everyday.

Aww thanks Geoff lol 🙂

Too long, too boring – got it in one! And I agree with the statement about no real movie stars anymore.

It’s just so SMUG as well!!! Haha.

4. Natasha says:

Oh Emma I love this post! I’ve never watched the Oscars.. my time zone makes it impossible and I honestly have too much to do in life than watch rich and beautiful people be rich and beautiful. But I love the dresses, and this year’s haul is some of the best I’ve seen. Also, saw Leo’s acceptance speech four times… today. I am unhealthily attached to him haha.

The Guest is also one of the best films I’ve seen in ages 🙂

Woo hoo, thanks Natasha!! Unashamedly it’s nice to have someone in total agreement hee hee.

Your comment actually rocks! The dresses, The Guest – we are the best!!

And of course I was so glad to see Leo get his long awaited gong and his speech was brilliant 🙂 I don’t blame you for watching it four times that is more than acceptable!

Some amazing dresses most definitely! There always seems to be an unspoken colour scheme? Or maybe it’s a ‘rule’ !

5. Jordan Dodd says:

All I can say is, AMEN. Check out my top 20 post Em, I had a few small digs at the Oscars. I can’t stand them and can’t wait for people to write about movies again, cos I am simply not interested at all in Oscar posts. Its a shallow popularity contest IMO

“I’m not naive. I know that some pigs are more equal than other pigs.” – This line is golden, well done!

I must say, I am never really too bothered about the Oscars. I think it is outrageous how crazy people get about it, and the silly controversies around it and all. Oh well. I just wanted DiCaprio to get one because, well, the man is amazing. Luckily this year he got it.

I’m glad he got one too 🙂 long overdue and even my grandad said he was pleased!!!

Thanks for your kind words Zoe and glad you liked the Animal Farm ref lol. It’s true and I do get that. But millions of pounds of party bags? Tsk!

Hope you had a great weekend!

7. Cici says:

Oh I totally get you! I watch the red carpet for the dresses and that’s it! 3 hours? I would rather sleep. Funny thing is the movies I like never get nominated.

I’d rather sleep too! And ditto, the movies I like never get nominated either. I find it really snobby and OTT, it’s like, who cares!!! I’m glad Leo got his gong finally though 🙂

• Cici says:

Wait, am behind on my entertainment news. Leo has never gotten an Oscar? Even for Titanic? Though I hate that movie. Everyone dies! What a sucky romance movie!

She could have moved her backside up the door as well, there was plenty of room for them both!!! (Rose and Jack in Titanic haha)

He had never won one before The Revenant the other night!! I know it’s unbelievable really, snubbed or what !!!

• Cici says:

That’s definite hate!
            Lol! I Know! I mean c’mon if you love him at least hold on to him so he doesn’t die! I do despise that movie. I hate sad romance movies. Give me a zombie fest any day.

Haha I’m with you on the zombie fest sister!!!!! Will you watch that Pride & Prejudice with Zombies?

• Cici says:

Any movie with the word zombie gets watched in my house. I even watched Zombie Strippers and that movie was kinda disgusting. So yes I will! 😛

Haha, I BOUGHT Zombie Strippers! Ages ago and I don’t think I have it anymore but it was okay for a laugh!! 🙂 me too sister!

• Cici says:

Lol! I like B-movies they are fun and funny. Try Strippers vs werewolves or navy seals vs zombies! Totally hilarious!!

I am LOVING the sound of Navy Seals vs zombies LOL! Both of them to be honest cheers Cici! 🙂

At least Leo finally got his Oscar.

9. The Guest.. ohh.. I can only laugh at that movie.. but I am a lover of the Oscars since I’ve been a child so I guess that’s the fun of it all for me.. and I usually think most of what’s nominated is worthy of it. But I so love foreign films & the super low-budget indies that no one evers goes to see but me..so I can relate to your side too! 😀

Thanks for your comment Peggy! Hope you enjoyed the Oscars last night 🙂 as I said in my post it wasn’t meant to be taken too seriously, I know plenty of people enjoy watching it and hope you did!!

What are your favourite foreign films and super low budget indies? I’m a big fan too! 😀

• This year I just loved Mustang..I truly thought it was one of the best films I’d seen all year. Then I liked The 100 Year old Man who Climbed out the window and disappeared. it was very funny and sweet. I liked It Follows, Lady in the Van, and just saw Rams which I didn’t like so much. Ah well.. whole new slate of films coming up to see so YAY!! 😀

I liked It Follows too 🙂 I watch a lot of horror movies and I don’t necessarily watch ‘new’ movies, they could be from any era really. I just looked up Mustang – looks really good! I’ll search that one out 🙂 Rams doesn’t sound like my cup of tea either really.

I didn’t like Lady in the Van TOO much (for an Alan Bennett story!) but it was likable!

YAY INDEED! 😀

• I was actually irked at Rams as the trailer made it seem like a comedy.. it wasn’t.. not even a little.. ugghhh.. hahahha I thought Lady in the Van was cute..ya know..sweet cute..i’ve had worse ways of spending 2 hrs in a theatre before..:) so for that yes, it was likable

Tell me about these worse ways of spending 2 hours in the cinema? I can remember one for me – Devil’s Due! One of the worst cinema experiences EVER! That’s so annoying about the trailer for Rams, I know I’ve seen similar trailers in the past that make a film look totally different to how it is. Annoyingly I can’t think of any examples right now lol.

10. Urspo says:

“bollocks’ is one of my favorite words!
    I hadn’t remembered they were on tonight until this afternoon.
    I will be reading a book and soaking in the newly repaired hot tub, sipping a good scotch.
    No bollocks to that!