I’m notoriously lazy. I mean I go to work and get things done, but in my spare time what do I enjoy? As little as possible really. It got me thinking about lazy characters in movies, who’s the laziest? And who’s the best at it? Here’s my favourites –
1. The Dude, The Big Lebowski – an obvious choice but too good not to mention. The Dude is so lazy he goes to the supermarket in his dressing gown. He smokes weed with a pair of tweezers. His finest moment is his comeback having been verbally attacked about his life by the other Lebowski, Mr Lebowski – “yeah well…that’s just like…your opinion man” – classic.
2. Floyd, True Romance – Brad Pitt wasn’t in True Romance for very long but he certainly made an impression as the vacant, lazy stoner Floyd. We don’t see him in any scene where he isn’t on the sofa. Given the interviews Brad has given in later life about his younger years, Floyd isn’t that far from the real man behind him. Which obviously makes us like him more.
3. Mort, Secret Window – another character who spends the vast majority of the movie in a dressing gown. And napping. When Mort isn’t starring in a horror movie he’s on the sofa napping. In fact even when things are getting really bad – Mort is napping. Or eating crisps. Or smoking. Sounds like me on holiday.
4. Ed, Shaun of the Dead – Ed’s so lazy that the only reason he was able to fight against zombies was because of his practice shooting them in video games. He’s unemployed, he stays at home all day and he can’t even take a phone message properly. That doesn’t mean however that Ed isn’t brilliant with some of the best quotes in the film. Anyone want a cornetto?
5. Homer Simpson, The Simpson Movie – I’m so glad The Simpsons released a movie and I was able to put the brilliantly lazy Homer in here. And plus the whole concept of the movie is pretty much summarized by Homer’s pure work shy ways. If he hadn’t had dumped Spiderpig’s waste into the lake (on his hurry to get free donuts) rather than dispose of it properly, well, none of the movie would have happened.