Lazy Characters in Film

I’m notoriously lazy. I mean I go to work and get things done, but in my spare time what do I enjoy? As little as possible really. It got me thinking about lazy characters in movies, who’s the laziest? And who’s the best at it? Here’s my favourites –

1. The Dude, The Big Lebowski – an obvious choice but too good not to mention. The Dude is so lazy he goes to the supermarket in his dressing gown. He smokes weed with a pair of tweezers. His finest moment is his comeback having been verbally attacked about his life by the other Lebowski, Mr Lebowski – “yeah well…that’s just like…your opinion man” – classic.

biglebowski_078pyxurz

2. Floyd, True Romance – Brad Pitt wasn’t in True Romance for very long but he certainly made an impression as the vacant, lazy stoner Floyd. We don’t see him in any scene where he isn’t on the sofa. Given the interviews Brad has given in later life about his younger years, Floyd isn’t that far from the real man behind him. Which obviously makes us like him more.

brad

3. Mort, Secret Window – another character who spends the vast majority of the movie in a dressing gown. And napping. When Mort isn’t starring in a horror movie he’s on the sofa napping. In fact even when things are getting really bad – Mort is napping. Or eating crisps. Or smoking. Sounds like me on holiday.

secretwindow

4. Ed, Shaun of the Dead – Ed’s so lazy that the only reason he was able to fight against zombies was because of his practice shooting them in video games. He’s unemployed, he stays at home all day and he can’t even take a phone message properly. That doesn’t mean however that Ed isn’t brilliant with some of the best quotes in the film. Anyone want a cornetto?

ed

5. Homer Simpson, The Simpson Movie – I’m so glad The Simpsons released a movie and I was able to put the brilliantly lazy Homer in here. And plus the whole concept of the movie is pretty much summarized by Homer’s pure work shy ways. If he hadn’t had dumped Spiderpig’s waste into the lake (on his hurry to get free donuts) rather than dispose of it properly, well, none of the movie would have happened.

homer

This entry was posted in Top 10s and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Lazy Characters in Film

1. jwforeva says:

HAHA the dude! May be lazy but he’s pretty chill and comfortable being himself. What a guy

You can’t beat a lazy character in a film.

3. Cici says:

I was reading this post on my phone and it wouldn’t let me comment, so I just spent the past 10 minutes looking for it on your blog when I opened my computer 😛
    Not that I have a great mind blowing comment. 😀
    Anyway, I LOVED this post. Mostly because I can relate and I am in love with Homer Simpson. If I could spend my life in Pjs and a robe my life would be complete.

Great list here, really!

Love seeing the Chop here 😉

5. Pingback: WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? (1976) FOUR TOP HATS | Isaacs Picture Conclusions

6. alexraphael says:

The dude was my first thought too. Good list 🙂

LOOK AT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My moment in the sun!!!!

8. romeorites says:

Ed and Mort are awesome. Also the house in Secret Window could be described as a lazy character in itself. Not to mention its my favourite movie house 🙂

Sorry I missed this the other day – I’ve had SHIT internet all week 😦

Great list!!

I’m surprised I didn’t get an honorable mention : )

10. I’m still reading the list but before I scrolled past The Dude I thought “I’m going to have to comment with Floyd.” But there he is!! I’m so happy for Floyd.