Walkers ‘Sandwich’ Crisps: I test the new flavours!

Review of the new Walkers sandwich crisps

Walkers crisps have brought out some wacky new sandwich flavours and I was delighted to be nominated (by myself) to taste all six of them – all in the name of science of course.

_20160914_104707.JPG

Now I LOVE both sandwiches and crisps, so rather than recoil at the strangeness I was really quite excited. Rather than do the right thing and sell all six bags in one multi-pack, Walkers are making us buy two six pack selections in order to try each flavour.

So Bag One contains:

2 x Roast Chicken & Mayonnaise
2 x Bacon & Tomato Ketchup
2 x Cheese Toastie & Worcester Sauce

Whilst Bag Two contains:

2 x Cheese, Cucumber & Salad Cream
2 x Sausage & Brown Sauce
2 x Ham & Mustard

Twelve bags in total. All in the name of science.

giphy

I’m a big mayo fan so went straight for Bag One and the Roast Chicken and Mayonnaise. I was most excited about these but the reality was disappointing. Yeah they were nice but they mainly tasted like standard Roast Chicken. There was certainly a hint of something ‘different’ but for a connoisseur of fatty condiments (like me) it didn’t taste that much like mayonnaise.

Next Bacon and Tomato Ketchup which didn’t sound great. I dislike ketchup and bacon doesn’t always work well as a crisp flavour (excluding Frazzles of course which are so amazing I could eat disgusting amounts until my tongue bled). Anyway. This flavour just reminded me of the ketchup flavour Walkers brought out years ago when pulling another publicity stunt and it overpowered the bacon somewhat. Not my cup of tea.

The last flavour of Bag One, which excited me due to cheese content – Cheese Toastie and Worcester Sauce. Similarly to the ketchup there was an overpowering taste of Worcester Sauce which gave the crisps a spicy, tangy taste. Definitely preferable to eating something healthy and nicer than the bacon and ketchup but a poor substitute for other, nicer crisps on the market.

Bag One verdict: 2.5/5

Bag Two and again straight to the most appealing flavour – Cheese, Cucumber and Salad Cream (yes I’m a freak). But this time I was impressed! This was the first bag that actually tasted somewhat like it claimed. I could definitely taste both cucumber and salad cream, along with a pretty prominent and cheese flavour. Definitely my favourite so far.

Next I went with Sausage and Brown Sauce which were enjoyable enough and a fair effort at tasting as their name suggests. In the grand tradition so far, the sauce outweighed its meat counterpart but it was better than the bacon and in this more instance I at least like brown sauce. However not the crisps I’d choose personally, given all the wonderful flavours we are blessed with in our supermarket aisles.

Ham and Mustard last but not least – and I love mustard. It’s worth noting (for my own satisfaction) that Brannigans do the most incredible thick-cut Roast Beef and Mustard crisps which are honestly soooo good they cost NINETY PENCE for a small bag in my local corner shop which is absolutely extortionate but that’s beside the point. They’re worth it. Sorry, I’m going way off topic, what about this Walkers effort. They were nice actually and probably my second favourite. Not a patch on Brannigans (obviously) but with a nice mustard kick and strong, adequate flavour.

Bag Two verdict: 4/5

So there you have it. If you’re going to treat yourself to one multi-pack, you know which one to make it. And I want to say thanks for reading this. Not my finest moment I agree but it gave me a guilt free excuse to eat twelve bags of crisps and I enjoyed that a lot.

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous, Random Writing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to Walkers ‘Sandwich’ Crisps: I test the new flavours!

1. I did like the Hedgehog flavoured crisps available in the early 80s
    Yes it is true, and they did taste good

Disclaimer
    Only a few Hedgehogs were injured in the making of these snacks

2. alexraphael says:

You make me laugh so much. I like your contribution to science. And you should nominate yourself more often for things.

3. Emma, you are hilarious. This post was a sheer delight! So fortunate you were nominated for this taste test (even if it was by your own self).

4. That Other Critic says:

Thought the Walkers logo looked sue-ingly like the Lays logo. Looked it up and it turns out that they’re the same thing. Is that a dig at Americans, calling them Lays instead of Walkers? What, like we can’t walk? 😉

I know EXACTLY what you mean! They sell Lays crisps in Spain as well and every time I go I always eat loads of (very large) Lays crisps. I have no idea why they’re called different names 😦 do you have sandwich flavours too?! There’s a chive flavour I really like, a green packet I think!

• That Other Critic says:

Never really had any weird Lays (unless you consider sour cream and onion weird), but Pringles has some weird flavors. Like pizza, pickle, etc. They do put out weird (and most likely disgusting) Lays flavors, but I’ve never tried them. Maybe I should, they’ve started putting out “world cuisine” flavors I think fairly recently.

I had some crazy hot Pringles a little while ago. They were from their ‘EXTREME!’ range but I didn’t actually expect them to be that hot..! Jalepeno and cheese flavour, but the ratio of jalepeno to cheese was heavily outweighed by jalepeno 🙂

5. Some of those sound absolutely revolting. Kudos on trying all the flavours. I definitely would not.

6. J. says:

Oh dear. Not looking to promising, as I only tried bag 2 and thought they were fairly awful!

7. boppinsblog says:

I’ve been watching The Walking Dead lately. The company should tie in the product. Walkers and Brown Sauce (whatever that is) seem to tie in with the show.

After reading this article, I found out there are more kinds of ketchup than just tomato.

I remember as a kid going to the USA on trips. if we asked for vinegar for our fries, we would always get weird looks, and replies such as “Why do you want glass cleaner?”

HA! I don’t think they have vinegar in Australia either, they’re all bloody mad! How are you enjoying The Walking Dead? I always had a crush on Daryl lol.

I love the idea of tying in Walkers to the show and we’re all sick of the Gary Linekar adverts, bring on some zombies!

8. Jay says:

I’m practically fainting over these weird flavours. And what the heck is brown sauce? How are any of these a thing???

9. filmsCine says:

I just tried the salad cream flavour after I saw this post – it tasted like a Big Mac! Loved it. And I love the post!

10. Urspo says:

I like the word crisps: I regret it is not used here, not without some confusion.
    These flavors sound quite radical. I wonder who dreams these things up.
    On the other hand, I would really like to have the Sausage and Brown Sauce. This sounds so British it makes me squirm.

Haha, I’m sure you’d enjoy them! 🙂 I don’t think the flavours will stay, the crisp company (crisp IS a great word!) does this kind of thing every now and then to market themselves. They did it a few years ago and I remember cheese and baked beans on toast was a flavour!