Films I Watched In: June & July

I have been a bit (very) slack recently, so it’s time to do a speedy two month run down of the movies I watched over June and July. Eight films in total and a rather mixed bag to say the least. Now I had some crappy news a few weeks ago and was made redundant from my job. I promise I am not saying this for sympathy…

gm2tyfj

…but rather an explanation if I don’t seem around as much. I may not be over the next few weeks whilst I job seek, eat Monster Munch in my dressing gown and watch depressing daytime TV (Judge Rinder – WTF) but don’t fret if you’re missing my outstanding movie knowledge because in the words of Jean-Claude Van Damme – I will be back.

So four films watched in June which brought my half-way-through-the-year tally to 41. Now I know people like Darren and Rob watch 41 movies, like, every week but I didn’t think this was too bad. If I pull my socks up and make effort to watch more (especially with all this new free time!) maybe I can make 100 by Christmas. Or 101 even. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

So June began with raucous laughter in the shape of Zoolander (2001) and Superbad (2007). Zoolander I watched for the millionth time on TV, having one new experience by watching it on the Dave channel. I don’t think I’ve ever watched a film on the Dave channel before. Everyone already knows I love Zoolander and blue steel and I think I’ve got the black lung pop so I’ll stop there on this one (though you can read my review for the sequel here).

Similarly there’s Superbad, which is also one of my favourite comedies and I could watch it any time. I recently reviewed its funky soundtrack here and if you ever want to sit and share quotes for a few hours you just let me know.

I ended June watching I’m Alright Jack (1959) and The Night of the Hunter (1955), which is one of my favourite films. A fantastic, scary and at times quite comical film noir starring Robert Mitchum as a murderous preacher. My favourite bit of trivia about this film is how some actors at the time were put off playing the part of Harry Powell, worried such a dark character could tarnish their image. Charles Laughton (the director) is reported as having said that when Mitchum walked into his office to audition he told him he was looking for someone to play a ‘diabolical shit’. Mitchum simply put his hand in the air and replied – “present”.

the-night-of-the-hunter_592x299.jpg

The whole film is so atmospheric, making the most of shadow and silhouette and Powell is an ominous, frightening presence as we follow him chasing two siblings for a bounty of money. And whilst it is super creepy in places (make no mistake) it also has moments of hilarity, whether intentional or not. The angry mob always make me laugh – “lynch him!” – led by the very lady (now drunk) who was singing his praises a few days ago.

I’m Alright Jack was alright but not something I’d rush to watch again. A British satire / comedy starring Peter Sellers and Ian Carmichael among other well known faces, it tells a (fairly accurate so I’m told) story about trade unions in the British workforce during the 50s. It was enjoyable enough but perhaps not much my thing.

So with sunshine, ice cream and those cool drinking glasses with a lid and stripey straw let’s move into July. Guess what? Another four movies watched. The Inbetweeners Movie (2011), Innerspace (!!!) (1987), V/H/S (2012) and The Boy (2016). tumblr_o8zkv4pkbv1vxu4gko1_500

Starting in reverse order you can read my review of The Boy here, which I enjoyed fine enough but admit is nothing special. I actually found the ‘creepy doll’ kind of cute. Look, he’s crying!

V/H/S was an extremely average horror movie that at least was a little scarier (not really that scary) than The Boy. A sort of portmanteau / found footage movie it shows some petty criminals breaking into a house and finding loads of old video tapes. OBVIOUSLY each one has some hideous murder or unexplained creepy incident on it. It wasn’t anything great but it was alright and I was pleasantly surprised that supernatural stories entwined with ‘real life’ terror situations. And FINALLY I now know where this picture comes from. I’ve seen it online so many times but never knew the source before.

img_1121

Boo you whore.

Recently I was drunk and drunk tweeted a few (lucky!) people that I was watching Innerspace videos on YouTube. I’m vaguely ashamed but Innerspace though!! It was my favourite film when I was younger and apparently one of Dennis Quaid’s finest and most memorable roles.

333.png

I mean where else would you remember him from if not Innerspace? It’s a silly movie to say the last. Quaid is miniaturised to the size of a microdot and injected into Martin Short’s butt. Thus follows an adventure story full of inaccurate medical science and Sam Cooke music. I actually thank Innerspace for introducing me to Sam Cooke, two of his best songs feature on the soundtrack and prompted me to buy his Portrait of a Legend album. Watch Dennis Quaid and Martin Short drunk dancing to Twisting the Night Away and you’ll feel happier than you’ve ever felt before. Fact.

Plus don’t tell me you’ve never done something similar, I know I love a drunk-at-home-dance.

And so onto my last film on the list – The Inbetweeners Movie. Being British and an alive person I can safely say I am a fan of The Inbetweeners. Nothing beats the television series but the first movie was pretty great (second one was a bit weird) and again this is a definitely a comedy I could watch over and over.

Part of what makes The Inbetweeners so good is how relate-able it is. The situations may be a little outlandish at times but the turmoil, frustration and embarrassment that the boys continually face can surely be understood by most of us. It’s hard to choose a favourite character because they all contribute so well (the dialogue is exceptionally funny) but I do have a soft spot for Neil. And the guy sure can dance!

tumblr_lwesbolcho1qbbcazo1_500

This entry was posted in Films I Watched In and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

91 Responses to Films I Watched In: June & July

1. Cici says:

Hey Em,
    Great reviews. I might watch VHS now but mostly because of that weird scary picture you put up. Loved that trivia about Mitchum. That was awesome.
    Terribly sorry about the job. Hope you get a better and awesome one soon!

Aww thanks Cici, sorry we’ve not spoken in ages (I have so much catching up to do!!!) Definitely watch VHS it’s fine for a slightly entertaining watch and that picture is cooler ‘in the flesh’! 🙂

Thanks so much mate 🙂 appreciate it and so glad you enjoyed trivia about Mitchum, made me smile too!!! How you been?

2. allendemir says:

That Quaid movie sounds more like something Randy Quaid would be in.

3. sweetarchive says:

Hello Girl! Been a while, eh? First of all I want to say I’ve missed your writing. Don’t let any job take away your awesome you. I’m positive you’ll find another job soon enough and it’ll be even better, I’m sure. Ahh, you are just great, Emma! Zoolander I love! Magnum is my favorite look (very different from blue steel). Innerspace, whoa, what??? Talking about a blast from the past! Awesome! Watched that one for probably 1,000,000,000,000 times. Anyways, fantastic post!

Reut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Thanks so much! Your comment really really made me smile. How have you been? It has been far too long!

Magnum hmmm? 😀 “orange mocha frappa chinos!” 🙂 🙂 you are just great!!!!

And so glad you understand the Innerspace love! I knew it!! ❤ ❤ ❤

Thanks so much!!!!!!

• sweetarchive says:

Sweetie, you can always count on me when it comes to 80’s movies :-)))) Love’em! It has been far too long and I’m so glad to be catching up on some awesome posts on here, but yours is just brilliant. “Boo, you whore” haha, I love this movie sooo much. Love ya

Well done Em, I think you are moving along with the movies 🙂 I have tried to watch V/H/S so many freaking times and I just can’t – bores me to tears. Anyway, I truly hope something comes up soon, though I am sure that it will!

5. Fun fun fun group of films.. you reminded me about Innerspace!!! I love that.. and I’m coming to the U.K. in a few weeks.. any recommendations of anything fun to do that’s not sooooo super touristy. I lived there for a summer, but it’s been awhile..I’m staying in Marylebone just to give you an idea..my only thing I’ve truly planned is an Arsenal match at Emmirates.. besides that.. I’m totally open to suggestions.. I’m there for about a week..off to Spain for a few weeks..then back for like 4 days in Oct.! Let me know! 😀

Ooh wow!!! I hope you have a great time and Arsenal match sounds great fun 🙂 my family are West Ham supporters, my dad has a season ticket but I’ve never been to a match myself, I’d love to though!

Sounds like a great trip / adventure 🙂 there’s so much to do in London if you’re staying there. Obviously there’s the usual tourist attractions and I’d recommend Covent Garden for lovely restaurants and atmosphere, it’s always really busy and there’s street performers etc. Camden Town has a great market full of kooky items and cool clothes, there’s a lot of independent shops round there too as well as nice bars and pubs.

And there’s lots of tours, museums etc, most of the big museums and galleries are free entry. If you like scary things the London Tombs and London Dungeons are quite cool, the London Tombs are scariest!

Harry Potter World is just outside central London as well, if you’re a fan it’s SO WORTH going!! Well, I think it’s called the Warner Bros Tour or something but we all know REALLY it’s called Harry Potter World…. 🙂

Leicester Square and Piccadilly have a great atmosphere too, always busy, full of restaurants and bars and that’s where all the cinemas are too! All these places are easily located on the tube from Marylebone 🙂 – nice place to stay btw!

P.S Innerspace!!! 😀 😀 😀

• thanks for all the info..I did live in London for a summer but it was about 12yrs back and I ended up in Portugal for a good portion of it!! ha! But I’m not a big huge fan of touristy things..I try to stay & do/go local etc.. I’m familiar with the tube enough, though it does get me a bit motion sickness sometimes as I guess it’s because it’s so far underground as most of our trains are above ground. ha! Don’t think I’m going to have time for Harry Potter, plus it just opened here too at Universal!! so.. I’m excited about the footy match.. I’m going to see a West Ham one on Oct 1st on my return portion as why not?? I want to see the London stadium and just want to soak in the atmosphere. That’s kinda what i like to do..soak stuff in! ha! Going to try to make time to make a day trip to Brighton or some place that I’ve not seen before.. Wish I could make it all the way to Dorset because it looks so stunning on Broadchurch, but I don’t think I’ll make it this time around. :/ let’s hope for the best and thanks for all the recommendations.. the tombs thing totally looks like something i’d LOVE!! hahahaha

6. filmsCine says:

That’s a pretty cool selection of movies! I haven’t seen The Night Of The Hunter though and now I’m intrigued.

The Inbetweeners – great! No sitcom should ever be made into a movie. I’ll love/hate Life On The Road, I know it!

Fun fact – during the filming of The Inbetweeners 2 movie, I was staying in the same hostel they were shooting in in Australia, so we caught a couple of scenes in the making. My beach towel has a cameo in one of the takes! YEAH, you go beach towel!

Good luck with job hunting, although I’m sure you don’t need it, everything always works out.

Thanks so much! And a very cool fact about your beach towel, I will watch with an eagle eye next time and scream “I know that beach towel!!!….kind of!!” 🙂

Don’t!!!! I LOVE The Office and I have real mixed feelings about Life on the Road. The Office ended so perfectly but I can’t not see it, I’m hoping to see it in the cinema next weekend!

Thanks so much for your delightful comment 🙂 🙂 🙂

7. movierob says:

wow! Ive seen 4 of ur 8, thats impressive for me 🙂

try and guess which ones em!

never can claim to have seen 41 in a week, but I’ve hit 25 🙂

Been trying to actually watch a bit more this week and last so that Ill have stuff to post while we go on vacation all next week 🙂

Oh wow! Could be a contender for Movies from the Hat in there then? 🙂

I’m guessing the 4 you haven’t seen are….

The Boy, V/H/S, I’m Alright Jack and I’m not sure of the fourth….

25 is still WAY impressive!!!! 🙂

8. 41 movies for the year is all right. I don’t think my better half has even watched that many this year. I do tend to watch more tv than I do movies, it just gets better and better all the time. Am catching up on my British dramas at the moment. Best of luck in the job hunt – I hate doing it myself and know how hard it can be.

Me too! I watch way more TV than film nowadays and a lot of it’s just reality type stuff, fluffy rubbish ha ha!

Thanks Geoff 🙂 it’s a bit shit but onwards and upwards!

9. Jay says:

I have never counted my annual movie watching and I never could. Too embarrassing.

I think you should definitely surround yourself with the comfort of old-standbys. Watch what you love. Take care of yourself.

Wishing you luck.

The Night of the Hunter boasts some f the best atmosphere in a movie. So chilling.