Every Friday I choose one of my favourite movies for a brief overview.
#5 The Elephant Man
- Genre: biopic / drama
- Director: David Lynch
- Release: 1980
- Starring: John Hurt and Anthony Hopkins
- Tagline: I am not an animal! I am a human being! I…am…a man!
- Instant favourite: Yes!
- Favourite character: Well……..
- What do I love most about it? It’s a great story, very well acted and though it’s terribly, terribly sad there are moments of such kindness. Joseph Merrick is one of my favourite historical people as well.
- Top 10, 50 or 100? Top 10
- Own? Yes, on DVD
- Poorest bit? Well it’s super sad (sob!) and of course some of the ‘biographical’ story has been embellished for screen (but not that much).
“My life is full because I know I am loved” – John Merrick
IMDB page here
If you can cope with the tears The Elephant Man is a wonderful movie and my personal favourite of ALL of David Lynch’s films. I’m a big believer in kindness and treating all people in the same way – this film demonstrates why we should. Amazing performances, incredible story and it’s clever that it was made in black and white, to really give the feel of the nineteenth century.