10 Favourite Tarantino Characters

Who are the best Quentin Tarantino characters?

So after being set the hardest Opinion Battle EVER and asked us to choose our favourite Quentin Tarantino character, I thought it might be necessary and fun to do a top 10.

I am watching The Hateful Eight tomorrow which is actually pretty speedy for a tortoise like me but of course I can’t include any of those characters. I am however doing all the scripts.

In no particular order:

Wayne Gale – Natural Born Killers (1994)

Written as an example of lowlife media scum and played so beautifully by Robert Downey Jr (who I think was enjoying his ‘drug-fuelled-fuck-yeah’ days) he’s one of the funniest Tarantino characters ever.

wayne gale

Best bit? When he loses the plot, wraps his tie round his head, tell his girlfriend he’s going to stick a hot pepper up her arse, shoots his mobile phone and joins Mickey and Mallory on a killing spree. Amazing.

Alabama Worley – True Romance (1993)

alabama

You’re so cool. Well Alabama is really cool. And has the best dress sense….like, ever. I’m surprised she never made Opinion Battles actually, I thought everybody loved her?

Seth Gecko – From Dusk till Dawn (1996)

tumblr_n2djdxj5dt1tud53fo4_250

Seth was my choice for Opinion Battles. From Dusk till Dawn has pretty much been my favourite film since I saw it as a young, impressionable teen and Seth is undoubtedly the best character. Cool, gorgeous and not a rapist – points.

Mr White – Reservoir Dogs (1992)

I almost chose Mr White for Opinion Battles and having just checked the poll A SECOND AGO and seen he’s had NINE VOTES and is massively IN THE LEAD against everyone, I kind of wish I had chosen him. He’s a cool bastard but mainly I always loved his kind, fatherly attitude towards Mr Orange. And of course he has the best line in the film, perhaps even of all time?

“I’ve got Madonna’s big dick coming out of my left ear”

harv

Archie Hicox – Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Archie is the sort of character who literally makes me grin with glee as I watch him. He’s fantastically British and fantastically posh and he carries the stiff upper lip with pride. I also think his conversation with Aldo about ‘fighting in a basement’ is really funny.

tumblr_mk32mzck7y1qdelmgo4_250

Well if this is it old boy, I hope you don’t mind if I go out speaking the King’s.”

Max Cherry – Jackie Brown (1997)

I’m sucker for a nice guy like Max. And similarly to Mr White the main reason I like him is because he’s a decent man who makes my heart melt a little. Of course I love his ‘will they / won’t they’ relationship with Jackie and when he buys that Delfonics record…..I BURST.

Didn’t I blow your mind this time?

max

Vincent Vega – Pulp Fiction (1994)

Most people prefer Jules but I know who I’d rather hang out with down the pub (but wouldn’t want to sit behind in a car). Vince just makes me laugh. I like it when he says Eric Stoltz wife has ‘all the shit in her face’. I like it when he says it would have been worth that guy keying his car if only he caught him doing it. I like it when he dances. I like it when he asks Jules about giving a guy a foot massage. I like it when he calls Bruce Willis ‘punchy’. And I love it when he questions the Five Dollar Shake.

Vincent-Vega

Butch – Pulp Fiction (1994)

I can’t be entirely sure if it’s Butch or Bruce Willis I’m thinking about here but they pretty much merge into the same person. Honestly each time I go to write something about Butch I just think well he’s hot and reliable and hard and can ride a chopper and looks good with a samurai sword. But that could be Bruce Willis too right? Oh whatever.

bruce

Dr. Shultz – Django Unchained (2012)

Guess what? This is another one I like because he’s a nice guy. Ahhh. Very different to other memorable character Mr Jew Hunter. Dr. Shultz treats Django as his friend, with respect and dignity in a time and place filled with racial discrimination. Ultimately he’s responsible for Django’s future happiness. IF ONLY he could have shaken hands with Leo. I love the integrity of his refusal but still think it’s kinda silly.

200_s

Shosanna Dreyfus – Inglourious Basterds (2009)

The beautiful, brave Shosanna who used cinema to save the world. I love the basterds but Shosanna is so aweomse. She has integrity, is strong and that video she plays at the end gives me goosebumps. Best bit? Obviously the Cat People make-up scene. Obviously.

This entry was posted in Top 10s and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to 10 Favourite Tarantino Characters

1. JunkChuck says:

Late coming to this post, but wanted to add that you nailed it with this list. And also, how about a shout-out to Dennis Hopper’s Clifford Worley in TR. And honorable mention to Brad Pitt as Floyd–“…condenscend on me, man! I’ll… kill ya, man.”

Two SUPERB suggestions! To be honest I should have put Floyd in the Top 10 anyway, never mind honourable mentions! I love Floyd haha 🙂 I did include him a top 5 I did of ‘laziest characters in film’ 😀

And Cifford too, how brave he is when he faces off against Christopher Walken’s character. He’s a hero and that’s one of the best scenes in the entire movie!

Thanks for saying I nailed it 🙂 I think with your suggestions it really would have been nailed!! I’ll edit and add soon as honourable mentions, gotta be done!

Man, this is such an awesome list! Love it!

3. No love for the Gary Oldman goodie, Drexyl Spivey (True Romance)?

4. Sam Jackson was born to eat up Tarantino’s prose. He’s quite demonic while spouting out incorrect Biblical passages, prior to killing Marvin and it’s just beautiful to watch.
    As Stephen, in Django Unchained, when he suddenly drops his “Yessum Master!” dialogue and his walking stick, you suddenly realise………………bang………….there is way more to Stephen than we actually thought. It’s a pity that Stephen’s back story was never fully revealed. Right at that point, Tarantino should have thrown in a flashback on him. Apparently there were vile scenes involving Stephen and other slaves that never made the final cut. Reason being…….”People are going to hate you enough, without them trying to kill you as you walk down the street!”
    Maybe there is going to be a Director’s Cut of Django! That would be something.
    He tried for a role in “Reservoir Dogs”, but apparently there were no roles for Niggas in that one! I’m pretty sure at that point, Tarantino already had him in mind for “Pulp Fiction” if “Reservoir Dogs” took off, as it was already written or the idea was definitely ‘in his head’!
    Yeah, Jules for me IS the one!
    Leonardo DiCaprio was also outstanding as Calvin Candie……..great actor always!
    The girls……………Mia, The Bride, Bridget Fonda’s Melanie (OMG those feet), the bad girls in the Kill Bill epics!
    I could go on………………………….

5. jwforeva says:

Jules!! And Marsellus Wallace haha! But yeah. all the characters here are good picks 🙂 Love Shosanna, she’s so strong all by herself.

6. alexraphael says:

“Most people prefer Jules but I know who I’d rather hang out with down the pub (but wouldn’t want to sit behind in a car).” – hahahaha

Dr Schulz is probably one of my favourites.

What did you think of The Hateful Eight? I really want to see it.

8. The Vern says:

I like that you chose characters that don’t get a lot of love. Yes Shoshanna from Inglorius Bastards was a great choice. And that scene with her getting ready was one of the best uses of a David Bowie song used in movies

Aww, cheers Verny! I’m glad you love Shosanna too and yes totally agree, that scene with the Bowie music is so immense!!! I think it’s the only ‘pop’ song on the whole soundtrack, so very clever indeed.

9. Great article, Emma. Diggin your sense of humour, as much as I dig the Delfonics. So awesome to see Alabama on there. One of my favs. I was debating choosing her for the Battle. On this list, my vote goes to Shosanna from Basterds. That scene with the pastry! I also like your commentary on Downey in NBK, seduced by the dark side.

Aww cheers Dan, you always take the time to read my stuff I really appreciate it. I love the Delfonics too! And you!! 🙂

I was sure someone would choose Alabama, she’s such a sweetheart. There’s quite a cult following for her and Clarence.

You’re SO right about the scene with the pastry, so intense!!! I should have mentioned that, great call 🙂

Robert Downey Jr in NBK is so bloody hilarious, Wayne Gale is a brilliant creation but I’m sure it’s partly down to his acting (and drug taking).

• It’s hard to tell with Downey. But I think this was on his way to recovery, like the Chaplin era (before a relapse maybe?). Either way, great performance.

As for Delfonics, most definitely. If you like that style check YouTube for “Have You Seen Her?” by the Chi-Lites. I love the sound of the guitar, mixed with the vocal melodies. This is -my- song 😉 I really dig on 70s funk and soul. I love Tarantino soundtracks ‘natch. I could talk on and on about songs and bands to check so I’m gonna stop myself now heheh

Yeah I love the Chi-Lites! I have one of their ‘best of’ CDs and LOVE ‘Have You Seen Her’ 🙂 I’m pretty sure I found them because of The Delfonics too. I love soul music, my favourite is Sam Cooke but also love Curtis Mayfield, The Four Tops, The Temptations etc. etc. (I could go on forever too!) I bet you love the Death Proof soundtrack don’t you 🙂 a fan of Tarantino music and a fan of funk and soul, that’s one for you!

Maybe Downey was in recovery when he filmed this but must have had a relapse, I’ve watched the DVD extras with actor interviews and he looks AWFUL! So skinny and bug eyed. Always loved him though 🙂

• Love old soul music! I like Cooke, but love Mayfield. I even like more funky stuff – like SUPERFLY soundtrack. Of course I enjoyed Deathproof’s music 😉 Actually most Tarantino selected songs are fantastic !

As for Downey, I bet you’re right then. Have you seen LESS THAN ZERO (good 80s soundtrack by the by)? That one is eerily similar to his lifestyle and struggles. That outside information makes his performance all the more haunting. (Caution: based on book from Bret Easton Ellis – American Psycho).