#bringbackclarkson

Since Wednesday 11th March, the big news in the UK has been all about this man –

For those of you who don’t know his name is Jeremy Clarkson and he is a TV host and journalist (well kind of…..he writes for The Sun anyway). He is what we call Marmite – some people love him, some people hate him.

He’s most well-known for hosting the car show Top Gear on the BBC and for being controversial which basically means making ill-advised comments about women or Asian people or homosexuals. Or Argentinians. Or immigrants. You get the idea.

I do actually quite like him. I don’t agree with everything that he says and he bugs the hell out of me – undoubtedly a smug man, but there are very few people in the public eye in this country who actually say what they want and refuse to apologise afterwards. I’m still annoyed Benedict Cumberbatch apologised for the “coloured people” gaff. He should have told everyone hysterical in the media to grow up.

But anyway, whether I agree or disagree with what is said I do have a certain amount of admiration for celebrities who don’t pander to everyone, terrified of upsetting the ‘media’ and the six hundred people with Ofcom in their speed dial. But anyway, I digress (I’m good at that)

My whole point was the BIG NEWS IN THE UK!

And that big news is……………….

Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended from the BBC (and Top Gear). This time he apparently ‘punched a producer’ because of an issue with his lunch. The core of the story is probably true but like most media tales, hugely overblown.

Anyway, worst things happen at sea. So, who really cares? Well, quite a lot of people apparently. Since Wednesday morning he has been the headline news on almost every major online newspaper.

jc

I watch the news in the morning as I get ready for work and when I get home I watch the news at 6.00, but hey this post isn’t about how rock and roll I am. EVERY FUCKING NEWS BULLETIN that wasn’t weather, war or angry housing residents was about Jeremy Clarkson.

You can’t believe the amount of coverage this story is getting and I’ve been in a state of disbelief that with everything going on in the world, this is such big news.

Within hours of the original story being released a twitter campaign (#bringbackclarkson) and an ACTUAL REAL petition was set up for his ‘safe return’ to the BBC (and at the time of writing said petition has over half a million signatures).

And then this morning, the icing on the cake. I was sitting on the floor straightening my hair (it’s the easiest way….trust me) watching Good Morning Britain and Susanna Reid announced…….

(this really is quite pathetic, but also…….hilarious)

DAVID CAMERON HAS GOT INVOLVED! Old shiny face himself.

Our very own Prime Minister. Apparently Dave released a statement saying he and his children were “huge fans” of the show [Top Gear] and he wants “the matter resolved as quickly as possible”.

Whilst I’m overjoyed we have such an understanding Prime Minister who not only empathises with the people over the loss of such an amazing TV show (sarcasm) but also finds time before our general election to make such a statement!! Anyone would think he was appealing to the common man.

Yeah, I’m a cynic.

I don’t know if I love or hate our crack pot country sometimes.

This entry was posted in Random Writing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to #bringbackclarkson

1. Jordan Dodd says:

I didn’t know that about the BBC staff. That’s crazy shit right there

but yeah, they didn’t like his opinions. They haven’t for years. What gets me is – IT AINT A LIVE SHOW!!!!!!!! EDIT OUT WHAT YOU DON’T LIKE!!! That is the aspect that i can’t wrap my head around… this is NOT a live filmed program and never has been!!!!

You know the Jimmy Savile scandal, well it came out after that – loads of BBC staff were doing it too and knew about it, and it was going on after show recordings and in dressing rooms. Even bloody Stuart Hall is currently in prison. There’s a video clip on youtube of John Lydon being interviewed back in the 70s I think, it was never aired (this is a BBC interview) and he makes reference to Jimmy Saville being a paedophile and then says “oh but we can’t say anything about that can we, we’ve all been sworn to secrecy” – meaning the BBC! There’s clips from Top of the Pops where he’s putting his hand up girl’s skirts (Jimmy not John). It’s gross. And the BBC are more interested in a fracas over a steak sandwich?!!

You’re so right too!! It’s not live, they can always get rid of any ‘risky’ bits!!! And anyway if you don’t fucking like it, don’t fucking watch it!!!!! haha 🙂

I see more offensive stuff happen in Geordie Shore, I swear.

2. Jordan Dodd says:

Totally with you here. Though this is all media hype. Has anyone seena photo of the alleged broken lip? This is ‘the final straw’ as far as BBC are concerned, they want him OUT cos of what you said – opinions they don’t like. They are morons, he is the sole reason TopGear is so popular. He’ll be back. Hammond and May are REFUSING to present the show without him.

Good luck BBC. You are on the verge of killing one of your most popular shows…. if not THE MOST popular worldwide. And not only that, they arent airing the final three eps! They are just punishing the viewer now, and Clarkson was just being Clarkson. This is typical ‘a mountain made out of a molehill’ bullcrap. But controversial opinions are baaaaaad, so the BBC probably will sack him for good. They are a bunch of morons, after all, to make such a big deal over this.

The people who will lose out the most are the BBC, because he pulled in so many viewers. I do think they were kind of slightly over a barrel though, damned if they do and damned if they don’t. So many people would have complained if they hadn’t sacked him.

I can’t see Top Gear continuing without him, I think May and Hammond will leave (if not already) and they’ll probably go over to Sky and do a similar programme.

I think the BBC are ridiculous if they don’t air the final 3 episodes. What a complete WASTE of everyone’s time, efforts and money. That’s chucking toys out the pram 😦

It’s a shame really, I do like him! He’s a dickhead sometimes but he’s the last outspoken, right wing person left on TV. Without him it’s all PC!

• Jordan Dodd says:

Yep. With you all the way there. He is a dickhead but he is one of the few guys actually speaking his mind. And he is getting sacked for it. And you are right somewhat, the BBC will lose a lot from this…. but as a fan I feel I am losing a lot more than the BBC. I don’t know heaps about the BBC being from Australia, but this is just a really shitty, low blow, just to please overtly PC folk. Its insane, but its happening which is rather sad really

What makes it even crazier is the BBC ignored decades of sexual abuse by their own staff!! Because they were all too “scared” to say anything. Now someone gets punched, it’s all over the news and a huge deal???

I think the BBC wanted him out anyway, he’s not the ‘image’ the BBC want nowadays, they want to be seen as leftie, PC, multicultural etc. Which of course isn’t a bad thing, but we need people like Jeremy too!!!

I agree with you, he does speak his mind and agree or disagree, I like people who aren’t afraid to be themselves. None left now! 😦

3. Okay! But now I it’s there… OMG! I hate network problems!
    Sorry Emma, for commenting so much! lol!

4. PS: In case if you are wondering why the hell did I not press the like button, even after commenting and making it clear that I do like this post, then here’s the explanation… the “Like” button is not getting loaded even after refreshing this page 5 times! SO, I’ll “Like” it later…
    (pun intended) 😀

Honestly you are too nice to me!! Thanks for explaining but I wouldn’t have minded if you didn’t like it either (but I’m still glad you did of course!)

Silly internet taking ages!!!! Thanks so much Heena 🙂 🙂 ❤