Favourite Film Friday – #1 Sunshine

Every Friday I choose one of my favourite movies for a brief overview.

#1 Sunshine

• Genre: sci-fi / thriller
  • Director: Danny Boyle
  • Release: 2007
  • Starring: Cillian Murphy, Rose Byrne, Chris Evans, Benedict Wong
  • Tagline: 50 years in the future, Earth’s Sun is dying
  • Instant favourite? No, I enjoyed it much more the second watch
  • Favourite character? Mace
  • What do I love about it most? First and foremost the music. Also the imagery, the bravery of the characters and the slight creepiness in the story
  • Top 10, 50 or 100? This is in my top 10
  • Own? Yes, on DVD & Blu-Ray
  • Poorest bit? Nothing really, though the switch from sci-fi to thriller can be odd

IMDB page here

So if you wake up one morning and it’s a particularly beautiful day, you’ll know we made it” – Capa

sunshine

Sunshine is an absolute credit to the science fiction genre. Special thanks to composer John Murphy also for writing the incredible score Surface of the Sun which helped make the movie even more special and memorable.

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Favourite Film Friday – #1 Sunshine

1. Love Sunshine! Just did a re-watch & post too and now looking for other Sunshine lovers. Amazing cinematography. Agree w/the music too…really effective in establishing the atmosphere and intensity. Is this your favorite Danny Boyle movie?

Excellent! I’ll have a look at your post 🙂

Thanks for popping by. Definitely my favourite Danny Boyle movie!! Is it yours?

• Okay but it’s a little goofy & rambly! =)

28 Days Later…is my favorite DB. I love Shallow Grave too & his movies in general so it’s tough to choose. Favorite use to be Trainspotting and I loved A Life Less Ordinary when I was younger though it doesn’t hold up as well, it’s still weird & interesting. Not that you needed that long of an answer!

I did need that long of an answer!! It was great 🙂

Snap! I loved Life Less Ordinary when I was younger but now wouldn’t ever really watch it.

I love 28 Days Later as well and Trainspotting is a classic!

I really enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire as well, though I wasn’t a big fan of 127 Hours, didn’t enjoy that too much. He does tackle a lot of genres doesn’t he!

I watched this recently because it was on a really good special and Eric is always telling me it is amazing. Well, it was great. Cillian Murphy rocks. The score was beautiful.

Oh the score, the score! Because of some legalties the soundtrack was never released which has upset me greatly. I have the single score ‘Surface of the Sun’ on spotify but it’s been changed ever so slightly and given it a more electronic sound that it didn’t have in the movie. 😦

The score made the film for me, if that sounds ridiculous I apologise but it did.

It’s a brilliant, brilliant sci fi movie I think. 🙂

• Zoë says:

I didn’t know it wasn’t released commercially. That sucks! Ah, what a song! But pity they changed it up a bit 😦

Not ridiculous, that can happen from time to time, it can really just realise the film completely.

3. I missed this one. I love Cillian Mutphy. He can play some of the most chilling characters.

4. newguy87 says:

Great Choice, I was watching this just yesterday again, easily my favourite Danny Boyle film and such an excellent cast

100% agree. Danny Boyle seems to try and touch every genre doesn’t he, but maybe his true skill lies in science fiction!

Actually that would be a good point to include on my bullet list – is this my favourite film by said director. What do you reckon?

I’m working on my top 5s for you as well by the way 🙂

• newguy87 says:

It could add some more discussion, and you can always leave it out if the director only done one good film.

no rush for the top 5s they won’t be getting posted until next month, i am in the middle of a paul walker weekend now

Good thinking 🙂 thanks.

No problem, I need a little time anyway. I stop and start and it’s actually hard than I thought it would be. (in a fun way)

I look forward to the Paul Walker poll.

• newguy87 says:

I picked my one a few films i liked i think i have gone off a lot of the older generation films, i picked on my favourite choices the people made.

i hadn’t planed a paul walker poll was just doing whose list was favourite this time

Sunshine is an EXCELLENT movie – nice call!!

#hellothere