Guardians of the Galaxy OST

When I watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the first time, three things occurred to me that unbelievably had nothing to do with mashed potatoes or fidgeting.

1. How funny the film was
  2. How attractive Chris Pratt is (and he looks even fitter in Jurassic World!)
  3. And the bloody brilliant soundtrack

To be honest I tend to notice the music used in movies (as it can be so god damn effective!) but with Guardians of the Galaxy you’d have to have gummy bears in your ears if you didn’t hear the awesome tracks.

To those unfamiliar with the story Chris Pratt plays a dude who is taken away from his family as a kid. The only memory he has from home is a mix tape his mum made and very precious to him it is too. Cleverly it’s his mix tape that provides the soundtrack.

How cool is that? The personal feel of the songs goes hand in hand with the sentimentality and charm in the story and because it’s a funny, quite quirky film it really does works perfectly.

There is a still a film score written by Tyler Bates and it’s possible to buy a deluxe edition of the soundtrack which includes both parts – the mix tape and the scores. I was tempted but it was the songs I really loved and check out the CD cover – I was sold!

mix tape

I’m not sure how many more times in this post I can use the words “mix tape” but AHHH it’s a picture of the MIX TAPE!!!!

Which reminds me, the full title of this OST is: Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack). I have a sneaky suspicion I know what the soundtrack to the sequel may be called. I really, really hope they’ll be a Mix Vol. 2 anyway!

This was the second biggest selling soundtrack of 2014. What beat it? Anyone have a clue? Well, you know it, trust me. Here’s a clue – let it go, let it go. Let it fucking go.

Urghhh. Has anyone done Frozen for Shitfest yet? I’ve never even seen it (nor do I have any desire to) but that song is still seared into my brain like a branding iron.

Anyway, back to the Guardians of the Galaxy. To be honest with you none of the songs are particularly remarkable and the track listing is slightly reminiscent of a bargain compilation. A bit corny even? Don’t get me wrong, there’s some awesome pop songs on there and I love music from the 70s and 80s (all the songs are from these eras) but with tracks like Spirit in the Sky and 10cc’s I’m Not in Love it really is fluffy pop than anything. It just works so well in this film!

It’s hearing the songs originally in the context of the movie that make them so special and fun – even though we’ve heard them countless times before at family parties and weddings – each song compliments its respective scene so perfectly.

A fun and very optimistic album that is particularly good when driving or doing housework (fact). It also invokes happy memories of a fun and very optimistic film. My favourite tracks are Hooked on a Feeling and Go All the Way.

This entry was posted in Soundtracks and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Guardians of the Galaxy OST

1. Great review Ems! And I love the soundtrack! Hooked On a Feeling is one of my favorite songs from that era.
    Um, I have a confession to make. I love Frozen. Don’t hate me! 😦

I could never hate you in a billion, zillion years!!! And to be fair I’ve never seen it, I’m just basing my hatred on that bloody song that infiltrated my life when I didn’t even ask it to!!!! I’m probably being a meanie.

Thanks Kim 🙂 Hooked on a Feeling is my favourite too!!! #kindredspirits

❤ ❤ ❤

2. I still haven’t seen Guardians of the Galaxy but I’ve been listening to the soundtrack and I love it! You’re right, the music is just so fluffy and upbeat and great for vacuuming. Meanwhile, Frozen can jump off a cliff.

I love that we do our vacuuming to the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack! WE ROCK!!!! 🙂

It’s a brilliant album isn’t it, it’s so cheap to buy as well or free on youtube and Spotify – no excuses!!!

I didn’t particularly want to watch Guardians of the Galaxy at first but was so pleasantly surprised by the great humour in it and nice messages about friendship! It kind of reminded me of something Joss Whedon would write.

GRRRRR Frozen!!!! I hate that movie and I’ve never even seen it!

Nice work, Pratt seems to be the stud of the moment.

4. I sometimes listen this soundtrack on youtube while typing up posts haha. Cool post!

5. David says:

Music was some of the best parts of that movie!

6. Mmmm gummy bears…what were you saying?

7. The Vern says:

Yup that soundtrack is pretty damn nice and I think you can even get it on audio cassette which would be awesome. Plus how could you not smile when Pratt starts dancing to “Come and Get Your Love” in this movie. Kudos to James Gunn for making a retro soundtrack as cool as Pulp Fiction.

That is so cool!!!! I would love the cassette just for the kudos 🙂

Totally agree Verny, that scene is awesome! It’s a very cool, retro soundtrack.

Thanks for your comments 🙂 looking forward to Sunday!!!!!

8. Khalid Rafi says:

Great post! this soundtrack is a great compilation of some awesome songs. My faves would have to be I’m Not In Love by 10cc and Hooked on a Feeling

Thanks so much!! It’s a really fun CD isn’t it, I also love Hooked on a Feeling, I’ve loved that song ever since Reservoir Dogs!!

I’m Not in Love is a good song too, isn’t all the “music” just done by the bands voices? Very clever!!

• Khalid Rafi says:

I think the whole mix is pretty great and works perfectly in capturing the light-hearted element of the movie.
        The background music is the highlight of I’m Not in Love for me.

WOO HOO Clam!!!!

Thanks for the link!!! Great post!

Love,

Pen!

10. I live for seventies and eighties music, so paired with attractive men, what’s not to love?!