Spoof Trailers

Trailers are generally pretty darn wonderful. Firstly, they are short. Regular readers will know the trepidation I feel towards films over 120 minutes. To be honest 90 minutes is my ideal but 120 minutes is acceptable. And so, with trailers I don’t get pins and needles or smoke deprivation. I just really dislike sitting still for a long time.

Obviously there are major exceptions to this rule and I do watch films longer than two hours. I just don’t always want to – and that’s the difference. To be fair, the last ‘long film’ I watched was The Wolf of Wall Street and I loved every minute.

Trailers are cool because they pack in highlights – funny moments, action packed car explosions or Zac Efron with his top off. They often star the Trailer Voice Guy (“In a world….”) and they pretty much always include decent music to enhance the clip and grab attention.

They can also be scary. Last year when I watched the trailer for The Babadook on my phone, I got so scared at the raspy Baba….dooook voice I threw my phone at my boyfriend whilst screaming “turn it off!!!!” – I was only 28 at the time though.

In fact I have – and I’m being completely serious – watched trailers that are better than the film they advertise. Outlaw for example – that trailer kicked arse! I still watch it sometimes for fun (crazy times) convinced that maybe the film is better than I remember. It’s not – it’s fucking shit, but the trailer makes it look brilliant. I won’t even post it here because everyone will think about watching it and I can’t be held responsible for that.

Back in 2009 I was so deliriously excited with the Inglourious Bastards trailer I called myself the Bear Jew and watched it every day until I got to the cinema to watch it. Luckily I loved the film more than the trailer….and it had a duration of over two hours.

Facebook banned me from calling myself Donnie Donowitz though.

brad

Not everyone likes trailers I suppose. When sitting with a group of friends for a movie night, what do you say when the DVD goes on? Are you The Impatient One? Are you shouting “skip to the menu!” with a mouth full of M&Ms and a handful of popcorn, or perhaps you quite enjoy watching the trailers, or at least find the extra pre-movie time handy – more time to look for extra bags of crisps and the TV remote. If I had a pound for every time I’d asked out loud “where’s the TV remote?” I would not be in full time employment right now.

Anyway, I get the feeling I’m going slightly off topic here. What’s the post title again? Oh yeah – spoof trailers.

Spoof or parody trailers are another reason I love trailers. I love having a laugh and I have rather a silly sense of humour. It’s fabulous that we silly-senses-of-humour can unite on the internet to share and watch spoof trailers (and funny cat videos of course) with one another.

There are generally two types of spoof trailer: the first makes the film look like a different film entirely and the second type just makes that film look pretty silly.

I love both examples, here are four of my all-time favourite –

1. The Shining
The hip cats amongst you will already have seen this classic but it’s worth re-posting due to its complete hilarity and believability as a life-affirming, cosy family movie. All together now…HA!

2. Casino Royale
This trailer just takes the piss. And the silly person who lives inside my head can’t get enough of it! The comments embedded over the top have me in stiches – “it’s difficult with manual transmission!” can be heard as Bond dices with death during a terrifying car stunt.

3. Mary Poppins
This is really well made and makes Mary Poppins look like a creepy villain in a horror movie. Excellent effort, very believable.

4. Goodfellas
Makes Henry look gay. Like Casino Royale, not the sharpest edit but if you have a really immature sense of humour (like me) you should find it pretty darn funny. The music is ridiculous!

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous, Random Writing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Spoof Trailers

1. hahah! Lovely post! I enjoyed all the vids, except the Mary Poppins one cause i didn’t play it… I’m alone at home and I don’t wanna spend the rest of the evening alone looking under my sofa or the window again and again being scared shitless! lol! I get scarred pretty easily…
    But I loved the others, especially the Shining one! I mean they didn’t even show a single thing that can even hint to what the movie is really about! lol!
    Nice picks Emma 🙂

Thanks Heena!! I’m so glad you enjoyed them and I completely understand about Scary Mary Poppins!!!! It is actually pretty creepy !!!!

The Shining is so clever isn’t it, really makes it look so different (and rubbish!!) lol lol

That’s me under the sofa – whenever I watch anything remotely scary!!! Haha 🙂

• HAhahah! And that’s me hiding behind you under the sofa… lol!!! Still I just get a kick out of horror flicks!
        Ever wonder, why do we love watching these movies when we’re so afraid of ’em! It’s truly insane….. isn’t it!?

I know!!! I’ve always been the biggest wimp and even now, I’m almost 30 and I’m not much braver!! I watched Black Swan by myself a few years ago and that was really a triumph for me!!!!! Lol!!!

But there is something about the horror genre that is so much fun! I’ve always loved watching scary films 🙂 🙂

• Haha! I’m no different. I haven’t watched a single horror movie alone! NO matter how much I really want to, but I never do it because I know I might survive watching it but I sure as hell won’t be able to survive the next 10-15 nights!!! lol!!!
            I guess with my pathetic fear you really can be called a brave heart as compared to me!! heheh! Though I really wish someday I’ll try and watch atleast a single horror flick alone…

I’m exactly the same!! It’s so funny reading your thoughts about horror films as it could be me saying it!!!! I don’t mind watching sort of, gory horror by myself, but it’s the psychological films, the ghosts and the ghouls and the demon kids! AHHHHHHH! No sleep for me!!!!!!

❤ ❤ ❤

2. Hilarious post – I love it! Funnily enough I was showing my younger brother spook trailers, although he got confused and thought they were real movies bless him.

3. OMG! These are just too funny Ems!😅 I don’t know which one is my favorite. I love Scary Mary, and The Father Knows Best Jack, but I think if I had to pick it would be Blond Bond. As much as I love him I would never get in a car with him. I would definitely play Connect 4 with him though!

Hahaha!!!! Thank you dear Kim 🙂 🙂

Do you know what that’s my favourite too! I know it’s so silly and not as cleverly edited as Scary Mary and Father Jack (!) it just cracks me up listening to those silly comments!!!!! Connect4!!!!!!!!!

“I do have a small head….everybody hates me!” ha ha ha

Hi Sister, I nominated you for a blogging award.

5. Ryan says:

I love that Mary Poppins trailer!

6. Tom says:

These….. are……awesome.

7. I never thought I’d be afraid of Julie Andrew… Today you proved me wrong. That was terrifying! I also loved the one for The Shining! Whoever comes up with these is so clever.

“It doesn’t bother you? Being blonde?” Hahaha!

Clam!!!!

I’ve only had time to look at that Shining one and that was hilarious!! Will check this out during the afternoon : )

Love Pen O _ o o _ O

Yay!!! Thank you dear Pen 🙂 🙂

Haha, I love it! It makes me laugh sooo much! “meet Jack!”

I hope you enjoy the rest 🙂

O_o o_O

I’m just leaving now, so excuse me if I don’t answer for a little while!

#pensandclams

Love Clam

9. Jay says:

Those are great!
    I really like seeing the trailers at the theatre when they’re fresh and new. But often when I’ve seen so many in a row, I forget what movie I came to see!

Cheers Jay!! So much! 🙂

Yeah I love seeing trailers at the cinema too! Especially if I’m watching a scary film and I know the trailer’s will be geared up to that 🙂

Some trailers can be quite epic (for lack of a better word) really impressive and ‘big’ – in the cinema this is just accentuated even more isn’t it!

Great choice of topic Emma, I’ve seen that Mary Poppins one before, still gives me chills now.